Embedded multimedia card (eMMC) is an embedded non volatile memory used in various electronic devices capable of offering ultra fast speed, which is the need of hour. It does simplify system design, integration and development; therefore, enhancing the performance of device in which it is embedded. An embedded multimedia card typically comprises of flash memory component, multimedia card interface, flash memory controller and high-speed MMC driver.
Latest industry research report on Embedded multimedia card (eMMC) is an embedded non volatile memory used in various electronic devices capable of offering ultra fast speed, which is the need of hour. It does simplify system design, integration and development; therefore, enhancing the performance of device in which it is embedded. An embedded multimedia card typically comprises of flash memory component, multimedia card interface, flash memory controller and high-speed MMC driver. eMMC is used in multiple devices such as cell phones, GPS, computers, eReaders, digital cameras, portable devices, tablets and others. The global flash memory cards market which is parent market of eMMC market; is expected to grow at a CAGR of 1.74% for the period of 2013- 2018.
The various driving factors for eMMC market are rapid increase in number of smart phone users, growing market for wireless technologies and the evolution taking place in electronics field. eMMC are available in various densities ranging from 2GB to 128GB chips. The advantages associated with eMMC are its features such as low cost, low power consumption, higher scale up memory densities and flexible configurability. However, low product differentiation and frequent changes in technology are certain restraints for global embedded multimedia card market.
eMMC MARKET BY APPLICATION
eMMC market by application is categorized into smart phones, tablets, digital cameras and others. These multimedia cards are used to store digital data and access them whenever required. These cards facilitate the users by allowing them to store high resolution videos, pictures, songs, documents, etc.
eMMC MARKET BY DENSITY
Based on density embedded multimedia card market is segmented into 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB storage capacity. These wide range of cards are used in various devices based on their storage requirements, example majority of mobile devices use 2GB, 4GB and 8GB cards, whereas applications requiring more storage capacity prefer using larger density multimedia cards. Hence, in order to support these varied needs of consumers companies provide cards in different densities.
Key market players engaged in production of embedded multimedia cards are Kingston, SanDisk Corporation, Samsung Electronics, Transcend Information, Inc., Faraday Technology Corporation, etc. These companies continuously enhance their R&D sections to cope up with new technology advents taking place. Improving the speed and reliability of these cards are the main focus. Samsung launched one of the industry’s fastest eMMC cards which read data sequentially at up to 140MB/s and writing it at up to 50MB/s. Companies also aim at tapping various market segments differentiated on basis of application, density and geography by providing products which serve that market needs better.
HIGH LEVEL ANALYSIS
The analysis gives an overview about global embedded multimedia card market and its key concerns. The global market analysis using Porter’s five force model and SWOT analysis helps in giving a better understanding about various opportunities, bargaining power of buyers, threats and substitutes. Customer loyalty towards a certain brand is low as there is less product differentiation and switching cost attached with these products is not significant. Hence it can be concluded that the bargaining power of consumer is high. Another factor affecting the eMMC market is the threat of competition as the number of companies providing this product to consumers is high. Therefore, there is fierce competition in eMMC market.
- This report gives an insight on the eMMC technology and its applications
- Detail analysis of drivers and constraints of embedded multimedia card market have been discussed
- Porter’s five force and SWOT analysis would facilitate decision makers in making strategic decisions by providing them insight on current market conditions and important factors
- Analysis of key market players and their strategies are been discussed in the report in order to help understand the competition in better way
- Market segmentation is been conducted based on application, storage capacity and geographic location, which would assist companies in deciding on the segments to concentrate on
- Analysis of current market scenario as well as the future estimations through 2013-2020 would assist the decision makers understand the future prospects of the market.
- Identification of key investment pockets assists investors in decision making as they can concentrate their resources on those segments. Example Transcend entered into the eMMC segment and started producing embedded multimedia cards of 4GB, 8GB and 16GB capacities, which is believed to be a perfect alternative to traditional flash memory.
EMBEDDED MULTIMEDIA CARD MARKET KEY DELIVERABLES
The global embedded multimedia card market is been categorized into three segments, namely application, density and geography.
MARKET BY APPLICATION
- Smart Phones
- Digital Cameras
- GPS System
MARKET BY DENSITY