According to Custom Market Insights (CMI), the global Refurbished Smartphone Market size was estimated at USD 76.45 billion in 2023 and is anticipated to reach around USD 185.89 billion by 2032, recording a CAGR of roughly 11.2% between 2023 and 2032.
Refurbished Smartphone Market: Growth Factors and Dynamics
The dynamics of the refurbished smartphone market are influenced by several key factors. Let’s explore them:
- Consumer Demand: Consumer demand for refurbished smartphones is driven by factors such as affordability, value for money, and access to advanced features at a lower price. The market’s growth is closely tied to consumer preferences and purchasing behaviour.
- Technological Advancements: The pace of technological advancements in the smartphone industry affects the refurbished market. As new models are released, older devices become available for refurbishment and resale. The market dynamics are influenced by the availability and desirability of different smartphone generations.
- Environmental Awareness: Increasing environmental consciousness among consumers has contributed to the growth of the refurbished smartphone market. Many consumers choose refurbished devices as a sustainable option, reducing electronic waste and promoting a circular economy.
- Quality Assurance: The quality of refurbished smartphones plays a crucial role in market dynamics. Consumers expect reliable and functional devices that meet their expectations. Strong refurbishment processes, quality control measures, and warranty offerings are important factors in maintaining consumer trust and driving market growth.
- Distribution Channels: The availability of refurbished smartphones through various distribution channels, such as online platforms, retail stores, and authorized resellers, impacts market dynamics. Wide accessibility and convenience in purchasing refurbished devices contribute to market growth.
- Brand Reputation: The reputation and trustworthiness of brands offering refurbished smartphones influence consumer decisions. Established brands with a history of delivering quality products tend to have an advantage in the market. However, emerging players with competitive pricing and effective marketing strategies can also disrupt the market dynamics.
- Regulatory Environment: Compliance with regulations related to refurbishment, data privacy, safety, and environmental standards is crucial for market players. Adapting to regulatory changes and ensuring adherence to industry guidelines can impact the market dynamics.
- Economic Factors: Economic conditions, including purchasing power, income levels, and consumer sentiment, can influence the demand for refurbished smartphones. In times of economic uncertainty, consumers may opt for more affordable alternatives, driving the market’s growth.
|Feature of the Report||Details|
|Market Size in 2023||USD 76.45 Billion|
|Projected Market Size in 2032||USD 185.89 Billion|
|Market Size in 2022||USD 64.30 Billion|
|CAGR Growth Rate||11.2% CAGR|
|Key Segment||By Type, Price Range, Application, and Region|
|Report Coverage||Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Company Profile, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors and Recent Trends|
|Regional Scope||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South & Central America|
|Buying Options||Request tailored purchasing options to fulfil your requirements for research.|
Refurbished Smartphone Market: COVID-19 Analysis
The COVID-19 pandemic has had both positive and negative effects on the refurbished smartphone market. Let’s analyze the impact:
- Increased Demand for Affordable Devices: During the pandemic, economic uncertainty led to increased demand for affordable devices. As people sought cost-effective options, refurbished smartphones gained popularity as a more affordable alternative to new devices. This increased demand for refurbished smartphones during the pandemic.
- Supply Chain Disruptions: The pandemic caused disruptions in global supply chains, affecting the availability of refurbished smartphones. Restrictions on manufacturing, logistics, and transportation disrupted the refurbishment process and led to temporary shortages in the market.
- Shift Towards Online Sales: With lockdowns and social distancing measures in place, there was a significant shift towards online sales channels. This benefited the refurbished smartphone market, as online platforms provided a convenient and safe way for consumers to purchase these devices.
- Remote Work and Learning: The widespread adoption of remote work and online learning during the pandemic increased the demand for smartphones. Refurbished smartphones became an attractive option for individuals needing additional devices for remote work or education, further driving the market’s growth.
- Reduced Disposable Income: The economic impact of the pandemic resulted in reduced disposable income for many consumers. This led to a greater emphasis on affordability, making refurbished smartphones a more appealing choice compared to higher-priced new devices.
- Consumer Trust and Hygiene Concerns: The pandemic increased consumer awareness and concerns about hygiene. Refurbished smartphones, which undergo thorough cleaning and quality checks, offered reassurance to consumers regarding device cleanliness and safety, contributing to their adoption.
- Shift in Brand Preferences: The pandemic may have caused a shift in brand preferences, with some consumers becoming more open to trying different brands or models through refurbished smartphones, especially if they provided comparable features and reliability.
- September 2022 – Fairphone, a Dutch social enterprise that is building a market for ethical smartphones, started selling refurbished smartphones, called Fairphone 3, New Life Edition, on its website. This was done to encourage smartphones to last longer, reduce e-waste, and save important resources.
- March 2022 – The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro versions were added to the Apple Certified Refurbished store in March 2022. When you buy a product from Apple’s Certified Refurbished store, it comes with a new battery, a new shell, genuine Apple part replacements (if needed), and a one-year guarantee.
- May 2022 – Phixman and Detel formed a strategic relationship in May 2022 so that Phixman could sell refurbished smartphones with a warranty and extra parts for a very low price. It also planned to offer services at fair prices in all places in India.
List of the prominent players in the Refurbished Smartphone Market:
- Best Buy
- Back Market
The Refurbished Smartphone Market is segmented as follows:
By Type Analysis
- Refurbished Phones
- Used Phones
By Pricing Range Analysis
- Low-priced Refurbished and Used Mobile Phones (Less than $200)
- Mid-Priced Refurbished and Used Mobile Phones ($200-$500)
- Premium Refurbished and Used Mobile Phones (More than $500)
By Sales Channel Analysis
- Online/ e-Commerce Sales of Refurbished and Used Mobile Phones
- Refurbished and Used Mobile Phones Sold at Physical Retail Stores
By Application Analysis
- The U.S.
- The UK
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Rest of Latin America