As per the current market research conducted by CMI Team, the global Steam Turbine MRO Market size is expected to record a CAGR of 5.6% from 2023 to 2032. In 2022, the market size is projected to reach a valuation of USD 24.1 billion. By 2032, the valuation is anticipated to reach USD 38.2 billion.
Steam Turbine MRO Market: Growth Factors and Dynamics
- Increasing Power Generation Capacity: The growth of the steam turbine MRO (Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul) market is driven by the expanding power generation capacity globally. As the demand for electricity rises, power plants are operating steam turbines for longer durations, necessitating regular maintenance and repair activities.
- Aging Infrastructure: Many existing steam turbines in power plants are aging, leading to a higher need for MRO services. Aging infrastructure requires more frequent maintenance to ensure optimal performance and prevent unexpected breakdowns, driving the growth of the MRO market.
- Technological Advancements: The market is influenced by technological advancements in steam turbine MRO, such as remote monitoring, predictive maintenance, and advanced inspection techniques. These innovations improve efficiency, reduce downtime, and enhance the overall performance of steam turbines, contributing to market growth.
- Focus on Operational Efficiency: Power plant operators are increasingly focusing on optimizing operational efficiency to reduce costs and improve profitability. Effective MRO practices help ensure the reliable and efficient operation of steam turbines, minimizing downtime and maximizing output, thereby driving market growth.
- Environmental Regulations: Stringent environmental regulations and the need for cleaner energy sources have prompted power plants to upgrade their existing steam turbines. MRO activities, such as retrofitting with advanced emission control systems, enable compliance with environmental standards, supporting the growth of the MRO market.
- Emerging Markets: Rapid industrialization and urbanization in emerging markets have led to a surge in energy demand, driving the installation of new steam turbines. As these markets expand their power generation capacities, the demand for MRO services for steam turbines also increases, fuelling market growth.
- Increasing Demand for Upgrades and Retrofits: With advancements in technology and the need to improve efficiency, there is a rising demand for upgrades and retrofits of existing steam turbines. Upgrading components, enhancing control systems, or implementing advanced monitoring and diagnostics can extend the lifespan and enhance the performance of steam turbines. This demand for modernization and retrofitting activities further drives the growth of the steam turbine MRO market.
Steam Turbine MRO Market: Partnership and Acquisitions
- In 2022, General Electric collaborates with Siemens Energy to combine their expertise and service capabilities in the steam turbine MRO market. They aim to provide comprehensive MRO services, including maintenance, repairs, upgrades, and spare parts supply for power generation plants and industrial facilities.
- In 2018, Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises acquires a steam turbine MRO service provider, strengthening their position as a comprehensive solutions provider. They offer maintenance, repairs, parts supply, and performance upgrades for steam turbines across industries like power generation, oil and gas, and manufacturing.
- In 2020, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, a prominent provider of power generation solutions, acquires the steam turbine MRO division of a major turbine manufacturer. This acquisition allows Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems to strengthen its position in the steam turbine MRO market by expanding its service portfolio and customer base. With the addition of the acquired division’s expertise and resources, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems can offer a wider range of MRO services and support to steam turbine operators globally.
- In 2019, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, a leading player in the renewable energy industry, forms a partnership with a specialized engineering firm to enhance its steam turbine MRO capabilities in the renewable energy sector. The collaboration focuses on optimizing the performance and reliability of steam turbines used in solar thermal power plants. By combining Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy’s expertise in renewable energy systems with the engineering firm’s knowledge in steam turbine technology, the partnership aims to deliver efficient MRO solutions tailored to the unique requirements of solar thermal power generation.
|Feature of the Report
|Market Size in 2023
|USD 25.5 Billion
|Projected Market Size in 2032
|USD 38.2 Billion
|Market Size in 2022
|USD 24.1 Billion
|CAGR Growth Rate
|By Service Type, Capacity, End-Use Industry, Service Provider, Fuel Type and Region
|Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Company Profile, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors and Recent Trends
|North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South & Central America
|Request tailored purchasing options to fulfil your requirements for research.
Steam Turbine MRO Market: COVID-19 Analysis
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the Steam Turbine MRO Market, with the industry experiencing both positive and negative effects. Here are some of the key impacts:
- Supply Chain Disruptions: The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in supply chain disruptions, affecting the availability of spare parts and components necessary for steam turbine MRO activities. Delays in the delivery of critical parts impacted the maintenance schedules and operations of steam turbines.
- Reduced Power Demand: The economic slowdown and lockdown measures led to a decrease in power demand during the pandemic. As a result, power plants reduced their operations or temporarily shut down, leading to a decline in the demand for steam turbine MRO services.
- Economic Recovery and Increased Power Demand: As economies recover from the pandemic and industrial activities resume, the demand for electricity is expected to rebound. This would subsequently lead to increased operations of power plants and a higher demand for steam turbine MRO services.
- Resumed Maintenance Activities: Power plant operators postponed non-critical maintenance activities during the pandemic to conserve resources. However, with the situation stabilizing, these maintenance activities are likely to resume, driving the demand for steam turbine MRO services.
- Emphasis on Operational Efficiency: The need to optimize operational efficiency and reduce downtime becomes crucial as power plants recover from the pandemic. Power plant operators are likely to invest in preventive maintenance and repair of steam turbines to ensure reliable and efficient operations.
- Technological Advancements and Digital Solutions: The recovery from the pandemic is expected to witness an accelerated adoption of digital solutions in the steam turbine MRO market. Remote monitoring, predictive maintenance, and digital platforms enable efficient maintenance planning and real-time monitoring, enhancing the recovery and resilience of the steam turbine MRO market.
- Government Stimulus and Infrastructure Investments: Governments around the world are implementing stimulus packages and infrastructure investments to stimulate economic recovery post-COVID. These initiatives often include funding for power generation projects, including maintenance and modernization of existing steam turbines. Such investments provide a boost to the steam turbine MRO market as power plants receive financial support for necessary maintenance and upgrades.
- Focus on Risk Mitigation and Reliability: The pandemic highlighted the importance of risk mitigation and maintaining reliable power supply. Power plant operators recognize the significance of robust maintenance practices to ensure uninterrupted power generation. Therefore, there is a renewed focus on steam turbine MRO to enhance the reliability and resilience of power plants, allowing them to better withstand future disruptions and emergencies. This emphasis drives the recovery of the steam turbine MRO market as investments prioritize risk management and reliability.
In conclusion, the COVID-19 pandemic has had a mixed impact on the Steam Turbine MRO Market, with some challenges and opportunities arising from the pandemic. Manufacturers and retailers need to remain agile and adapt to the changing market conditions to overcome these challenges and capitalize on new growth opportunities.
List of the prominent players in the Steam Turbine MRO Market:
- General Electric Company
- Siemens AG
- Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Ltd.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- Ansaldo Energia S.p.A.
- Toshiba Energy Systems & Solutions Corporation
- Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co. Ltd.
- Alstom Power
- Hitachi Ltd.
- Sulzer Ltd.
The Steam Turbine MRO Market is segmented as follows:
By Service Type
- Less than 300 MW
- 300 MW to 599 MW
- 600 MW and Above
By End-Use Industry
- Power Generation
- Oil and Gas
By Service Provider
- Independent Service Providers
- Original Equipment Manufacturers
By Fuel Type
- Natural Gas
- The U.S.
- The UK
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Rest of Latin America