US Cat Food Market Size, Trends and Insights By Type (Food, Dry, Wet, Treats and Mixers), By Distribution Channel (Specialized Pet Food Shops, Supermarkets/Hypermarkets, Online), and By Region - Industry Overview, Statistical Data, Competitive Analysis, Share, Outlook, and Forecast 2023–2032
Exclusive, in-depth market intelligence can help you increase your Revenue.Download Sample Pdf
As per the current market research conducted by CMI Market Research Team, the US Cat Food market is expected to record a CAGR of 4.2% from 2023 to 2032. In 2022, the market size is projected to reach a valuation of USD 38.42 billion. By 2032, the valuation is anticipated to reach USD 55.64 billion.
The US Cat Food Market refers to the industry that produces and sells cat food products to cat owners in the United States. Cat food products can include wet food, dry food, treats, and other specialized diets. The US cat food market is a significant segment of the overall pet food industry in the United States and is driven by factors such as increasing pet ownership, changing consumer preferences, and the trend towards premium and natural pet food products.
The market is highly competitive, with several key players competing to offer a wide range of cat food products to meet the needs of cat owners.
US Cat Food Market – Significant Growth Factors
The US Cat Food Market has several significant growth opportunities that are expected to drive its expansion in the coming years. These opportunities include:
Increasing Pet Ownership: The number of pet owners in the US is on the rise, which is expected to drive demand for cat food products.
Rising Consumer Awareness: Cat owners are becoming more aware of the importance of providing their pets with high-quality, nutritious food, which is leading to increased demand for premium and natural cat food products.
E-commerce Sales: The growth of online shopping platforms and e-commerce sales is creating new opportunities for cat food manufacturers to reach consumers and expand their customer base.
Product Innovation: The US Cat Food Market is highly competitive, and manufacturers are constantly looking for new ways to differentiate their products and appeal to consumers. This has led to a wave of product innovation, with new cat food formulations, packaging, and marketing strategies being developed to capture market share.
Overall, these growth opportunities are expected to fuel the expansion of the US Cat Food Market in the coming years.
US Cat Food Market – Mergers and Acquisitions
The US Cat Food Market has seen several mergers and acquisitions in recent years. Some notable examples include:
General Mills Acquisition of Blue Buffalo: In 2018, General Mills acquired Blue Buffalo, a premium pet food brand that specializes in natural and high-protein cat food products. The acquisition was seen as a strategic move to expand General Mills’ presence in the pet food industry.
Mars Inc. Acquisition of VCA Inc.: In 2017, Mars Inc. acquired VCA Inc., a leading provider of veterinary services in the US. The acquisition was seen as a move to expand Mars Inc.’s pet care business, which includes several cat food brands such as Whiskas, Royal Canin, and Sheba.
J.M. Smucker Acquisition of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition: In 2018, J.M. Smucker acquired Ainsworth Pet Nutrition, a leading producer of premium pet food products, including several cat food brands such as Rachel Ray Nutrish and Dad’s Pet Care. The acquisition was seen as a strategic move to expand J.M. Smucker’s presence in the pet food industry.
These mergers and acquisitions have allowed companies to expand their product offerings, reach new markets, and strengthen their positions in the US Cat Food Market.
COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE RELATED MARKET
|US Cat Food Market||Animal Healthcare Market||Pet Supplement Market|
|CAGR 4.2% (Approx)||CAGR 10.7%
|US$ 55.64 billion by 2032||USD 94.8 Billion by 2030||USD 3.1 billion by 2030|
US Cat Food Market – Significant Threats
The US Cat Food Market faces several significant threats that could impact its growth and profitability. Some of these threats include:
- Increasing Raw Material Costs: The cost of raw materials used to produce cat food, such as meat and grains, can be volatile and subject to fluctuations in supply and demand. Increases in raw material costs can impact profit margins and increase the price of cat food for consumers.
- Competition from Private Label Brands: Private-label cat food brands are becoming increasingly popular with consumers, offering lower-priced alternatives to branded cat food products. This can create intense price competition in the cat food market and impact sales for branded products.
- Stringent Regulatory Requirements: The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the production and marketing of cat food, and compliance with these regulations can be costly and time-consuming for manufacturers. Failure to comply with regulatory requirements can result in fines and reputational damage.
- Growing Concerns over Health and Safety: With the rise of social media and increased access to information, consumers are becoming more aware of health and safety concerns associated with cat food products. Any negative publicity or safety concerns related to cat food can impact consumer trust and sales for cat food manufacturers.
Overall, these threats pose significant challenges for the US Cat Food Market and require manufacturers to be vigilant in addressing them to ensure sustainable growth and profitability.
|Feature of the Report||Details|
|Market Size in 2023||USD 40.14 Billion|
|Projected Market Size in 2032||USD 55.64 Billion|
|Market Size in 2022||USD 38.42 Billion|
|CAGR Growth Rate||4.2% CAGR|
|Key Segment||By Type, Distribution Channel, and Region|
|Report Coverage||Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Company Profile, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors and Recent Trends|
|Regional Scope||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South & Central America|
|Buying Options||Request tailored purchasing options to fulfil your requirements for research.|
Dry Cat Food: Dry cat food is the most commonly consumed type of cat food in the US. It is convenient, has a long shelf life, and is often more affordable than wet cat food. Dry cat food is also available in different varieties, such as grain-free, high protein, and weight management.
Wet Cat Food: Wet cat food is growing in popularity in the US, as it is perceived to be more palatable and provides hydration for cats. Wet cat food is available in various flavors and textures, such as pate, chunks, and shreds.
Treats & Mixers: Cat treats are a growing segment within the US Cat Food Market, as pet owners seek to pamper and reward their cats. Treats are available in various flavors, textures, and sizes. Mixers are a new category of cat food products that can be added to wet or dry food to enhance its taste and nutrition.
By Distribution Channels:
Specialized Pet Food Shops: Specialized pet food shops are stores that cater specifically to pet owners and their pets. These stores typically carry a wide range of pet food products, including premium and specialty cat food brands. These stores offer personalized advice and recommendations to pet owners.
Supermarkets/Hypermarkets: Supermarkets and hypermarkets are large retail stores that carry a variety of consumer products, including pet food products. These stores typically offer a broad selection of cat food products, including economy and mid-priced brands. Supermarkets and hypermarkets provide convenience and accessibility to pet owners.
Online: The online segment of the US Cat Food Market is rapidly growing, as more consumers choose to shop for pet food products online. Online channels offer a wide variety of cat food products, including premium and specialty brands, and provide the convenience of home delivery. Online channels also offer competitive pricing and discounts.
US Cat Food Market – Regional Analysis
The US Cat Food Market can be analyzed regionally based on the geographical distribution of cat ownership and the market presence of key players.
- West: The West region of the US has a high concentration of cat owners, which drives the demand for cat food products. California, in particular, has a large population of cat owners and is home to many key players in the cat food industry.
- Midwest: The Midwest region of the US also has a significant population of cat owners. States such as Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan have a high concentration of cat owners, which contributes to the demand for cat food products.
- Northeast: The Northeast region of the US has a lower concentration of cat owners compared to the West and Midwest regions. However, states such as New York and Massachusetts have large urban populations that contribute to the demand for premium and specialty cat food products.
- South: The South region of the US has a moderate concentration of cat owners, with states such as Texas and Florida having the highest population of cat owners. The demand for cat food products in the South is driven by a combination of factors, including price and availability of products.
Overall, the US Cat Food Market is distributed across all regions of the country, with key players having a nationwide presence. The regional distribution of cat ownership and market demand can influence the marketing and distribution strategies of cat food companies in the US.
Competitive Landscape – US Cat Food Market
The US Cat Food Market is highly competitive and is dominated by several major players, including:
- Nestle Purina: The company is a subsidiary of Nestle S.A. and is one of the leading players in the US cat food market, offering a wide range of cat food products under various brands such as Purina ONE, Fancy Feast, and Friskies.
- Mars Petcare: The company is a subsidiary of Mars, Inc. and is a major player in the US cat food market, offering products under popular brands such as Whiskas, Sheba, and Temptations.
- Blue Buffalo: The company is a subsidiary of General Mills and specializes in producing high-quality, natural pet food products. The company offers a range of cat food products under the Blue Buffalo brand.
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition: The company is a subsidiary of Colgate-Palmolive and specializes in producing premium pet food products. The company offers a range of cat food products under Hill’s Science Diet and Prescription Diet brands.
- Smucker’s: The company is a major player in the US cat food market, offering a range of products under popular brands such as Meow Mix, 9Lives, and Kibbles ‘n Bits.
Other prominent players in the US Cat Food Market include Diamond Pet Foods, Merrick Pet Care, Del Monte Foods, and Big Heart Pet Brands. These companies compete on the basis of product quality, pricing, distribution channels, and marketing strategies to maintain their market share and gain a competitive advantage.
The US Cat Food Market is segmented as follows:
- Animal Derived
- Insect- derived
- Black soldier flies
By product type:
- Treats and Chews
- Cremes / Cream-Snacks
- Crunchy snacks
- Chew sticks
- Cat Milk / Milk snacks
- Dehydrated Food
- Freeze Dried Food
- Freeze-Dried Raw
- Wet Food
- Raw Food
By Pet Type:
By Packaging Type:
- Folding cartons
- Tubs & Cups
- Bottles & jars
By Distribution Channel:
- Store-based Retailing
- Convenience Stores
- Mom and Pop Stores
- Pet Stores
- Independent Grocery Retailers
- Other Retail Formats
- Online Retailers
On the basis of Geography
- The U.S.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. Preface
- 1.1 Report Description and Scope
- 1.2 Research scope
- 1.3 Research methodology
- 1.3.1 Market Research Type
- 1.3.2 Market research methodology
- Chapter 2. Executive Summary
- 2.1 US Cat Food Market, (2023 – 2032) (USD Billion)
- 2.2 US Cat Food Market : snapshot
- Chapter 3. US Cat Food Market – Industry Analysis
- 3.1 US Cat Food Market: Market Dynamics
- 3.2 Market Drivers
- 3.2.1 Increasing Pet Ownership
- 3.2.2 Rising Consumer Awareness
- 3.2.3 E-commerce Sales
- 3.2.4 Product Innovation.
- 3.3 Market Restraints
- 3.4 Market Opportunities
- 3.5 Market Challenges
- 3.6 Porterâ€™s Five Forces Analysis
- 3.7 Market Attractiveness Analysis
- 3.7.1 Market attractiveness analysis By Type
- 3.7.2 Market attractiveness analysis By Distribution Channel
- Chapter 4. US Cat Food Market- Competitive Landscape
- 4.1 Company market share analysis
- 4.1.1 US Cat Food Market: company market share, 2022
- 4.2 Strategic development
- 4.2.1 Acquisitions & mergers
- 4.2.2 New Product launches
- 4.2.3 Agreements, partnerships, cullaborations, and joint ventures
- 4.2.4 Research and development and Regional expansion
- 4.3 Price trend analysis
- 4.1 Company market share analysis
- Chapter 5. US Cat Food Market – Type Analysis
- 5.1 US Cat Food Market overview: By Type
- 5.1.1 US Cat Food Market share, By Type, 2022 and 2032
- 5.2 Food
- 5.2.1 US Cat Food Market by Food, 2023 – 2032 (USD Billion)
- 5.3 Dry
- 5.3.1 US Cat Food Market by Dry, 2023 – 2032 (USD Billion)
- 5.4 Wet
- 5.4.1 US Cat Food Market by Wet, 2023 – 2032 (USD Billion)
- 5.5 Treats and Mixers
- 5.5.1 US Cat Food Market by Treats and Mixers, 2023 – 2032 (USD Billion)
- 5.1 US Cat Food Market overview: By Type
- Chapter 6. US Cat Food Market – Distribution Channel Analysis
- 6.1 US Cat Food Market overview: By Distribution Channel
- 6.1.1 US Cat Food Market share, By Distribution Channel, 2022 and 2032
- 6.2 Specialized Pet Food Shops
- 6.2.1 US Cat Food Market by Specialized Pet Food Shops, 2023 – 2032 (USD Billion)
- 6.3 Supermarkets/Hypermarkets
- 6.3.1 US Cat Food Market by Supermarkets/Hypermarkets, 2023 – 2032 (USD Billion)
- 6.4 Online
- 6.4.1 US Cat Food Market by Online, 2023 – 2032 (USD Billion)
- 6.1 US Cat Food Market overview: By Distribution Channel
- Chapter 7. US Cat Food Market – Regional Analysis
- 7.1 US Cat Food Market Regional Overview
- 7.2 US Cat Food Market Share, by Region, 2022 & 2032 (USD Billion)
- Chapter 8. Company Profiles
- 8.1 Nestle Purina
- 8.1.1 Overview
- 8.1.2 Financials
- 8.1.3 Product Portfolio
- 8.1.4 Business Strategy
- 8.1.5 Recent Developments
- 8.2 Mars Petcare
- 8.2.1 Overview
- 8.2.2 Financials
- 8.2.3 Product Portfolio
- 8.2.4 Business Strategy
- 8.2.5 Recent Developments
- 8.3 Blue Buffalo
- 8.3.1 Overview
- 8.3.2 Financials
- 8.3.3 Product Portfolio
- 8.3.4 Business Strategy
- 8.3.5 Recent Developments
- 8.4 Hill’s Pet Nutrition
- 8.4.1 Overview
- 8.4.2 Financials
- 8.4.3 Product Portfolio
- 8.4.4 Business Strategy
- 8.4.5 Recent Developments
- 8.5 Smucker’s
- 8.5.1 Overview
- 8.5.2 Financials
- 8.5.3 Product Portfolio
- 8.5.4 Business Strategy
- 8.5.5 Recent Developments
- 8.6 Others
- 8.6.1 Overview
- 8.6.2 Financials
- 8.6.3 Product Portfolio
- 8.6.4 Business Strategy
- 8.6.5 Recent Developments
- 8.1 Nestle Purina
List Of Figures
Figures No 1 to 16
List Of Tables
Tables No 1 to 2
In order to get the most precise estimates and forecasts possible, Custom Market Insights applies a detailed and adaptive research methodology centered on reducing deviations. For segregating and assessing quantitative aspects of the market, the company uses a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches. Furthermore, data triangulation, which examines the market from three different aspects, is a recurring theme in all of our research reports. The following are critical components of the methodology used in all of our studies:
Preliminary Data Mining
On a broad scale, raw market information is retrieved and compiled. Data is constantly screened to make sure that only substantiated and verified sources are taken into account. Furthermore, data is mined from a plethora of reports in our archive and also a number of reputed & reliable paid databases. To gain a detailed understanding of the business, it is necessary to know the entire product life cycle and to facilitate this, we gather data from different suppliers, distributors, and buyers.
Surveys, technological conferences, and trade magazines are used to identify technical issues and trends. Technical data is also gathered from the standpoint of intellectual property, with a focus on freedom of movement and white space. The dynamics of the industry in terms of drivers, restraints, and valuation trends are also gathered. As a result, the content created contains a diverse range of original data, which is then cross-validated and verified with published sources.
Simulation models are used to generate our business estimates and forecasts. For each study, a one-of-a-kind model is created. Data gathered for market dynamics, the digital landscape, development services, and valuation patterns are fed into the prototype and analyzed concurrently. These factors are compared, and their effect over the projected timeline is quantified using correlation, regression, and statistical modeling. Market forecasting is accomplished through the use of a combination of economic techniques, technical analysis, industry experience, and domain knowledge.
Short-term forecasting is typically done with econometric models, while long-term forecasting is done with technological market models. These are based on a synthesis of the technological environment, legal frameworks, economic outlook, and business regulations. Bottom-up market evaluation is favored, with crucial regional markets reviewed as distinct entities and data integration to acquire worldwide estimates. This is essential for gaining a thorough knowledge of the industry and ensuring that errors are kept to a minimum.
Some of the variables taken into account for forecasting are as follows:
• Industry drivers and constraints, as well as their current and projected impact
• The raw material case, as well as supply-versus-price trends
• Current volume and projected volume growth through 2030
We allocate weights to these variables and use weighted average analysis to determine the estimated market growth rate.
This is the final step in our report’s estimating and forecasting process. Extensive primary interviews are carried out, both in-person and over the phone, to validate our findings and the assumptions that led to them.
Leading companies from across the supply chain, including suppliers, technology companies, subject matter experts, and buyers, use techniques like interviewing to ensure a comprehensive and non-biased overview of the business. These interviews are conducted all over the world, with the help of local staff and translators, to overcome language barriers.
Primary interviews not only aid with data validation, but also offer additional important insight into the industry, existing business scenario, and future projections, thereby improving the quality of our reports.
All of our estimates and forecasts are validated through extensive research work with key industry participants (KIPs), which typically include:
• Market leaders
• Suppliers of raw materials
• Suppliers of raw materials
The following are the primary research objectives:
• To ensure the accuracy and acceptability of our data.
• Gaining an understanding of the current market and future projections.
Data Collection Matrix
|Perspective||Primary research||Secondary research|
Market Analysis Matrix
|Qualitative analysis||Quantitative analysis|
“west region of the US” country will lead the US Cat Food market during the forecast period 2023 to 2032.
The key factors driving the market are Increasing Pet Ownership, Rising Consumer Awareness, E-commerce Sales and Product Innovation.
The key players operating in the US Cat Food market are Nestle Purina, Mars Petcare, Blue Buffalo, Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Smucker’s, Others
The US Cat Food market is expanding growth with a CAGR of approximately 4.2% during the forecast period (2023 to 2032).
The US Cat Food market size was valued at USD 38.42 Billion in 2022 and it is projected to reach around USD 55.64 Billion by 2032.